SMS over LoRa: Long distance SMS without 4G // Project

Originally published at: https://www.mickmake.com/post/sms-lora-long-distance-sms-without-4g-project

Do you want to be able to send an SMS over 20kms without using a mobile phone network? Here’s one small project you can knock up in less than a day allowing you to send an SMS over LoRa.

To be honest, I really like to this project. Using a browser interface would allow cross-platform compatibility and ease of use. Maybe the mobile app could tap into the various sensors of the device it is installed on to feed data from GPS, barometer, altimeter etc? This could (with marketing, funding, and passion) be the best off-grid communications solution available.

Hi CW,

Yup, there's lots of applications for a LoRa <-> WiFi gateway. There's a number of commercial ones around, but the market still doesn't have any decent standard that people can adopt. It's an immature market.

good project, Can you recommend a good external antenna to use in this module (433Mhz)?

Very useful project!
Low power + long distance, so perfect after the zombie apocalypse.
Should be paired with a solar power source.

hi sir…
i was tried this project, but have a problem with crc16.h . No such file or directory.
maybe you can help me to fix this problem?

thanks

Ah yes! I need to update the GitHub repo for that.
This header file is actually part of another library.

Thanks Sir,
its will help me on my first project in LoRa.
And stay for your another project…
:slight_smile:

I am also unable to solve the above mentioned problem.

Hi Mick,
thank you for the shared project! Could you fix the problem with crc16.h please?!
The project is very interesting for me, but unfortunately I am unable to solve the mentioned by Kang_Joo_Woo problem.
Thank you in advance! :slight_smile: