Build a Pi Zero W pocket projector! // Project

Hi ndac,
Can you post some screenshots/photos of the issue?
You’re now the second person to have this issue. Even though it’s two out of 300 I don’t want it to be an issue for you. So, like to track it down.

Of course, I’m assuming that you bought one of my PiProjectors? If not, try and make sure that you have multiple ground points connected up. That tends to resolve some of the bad display issues.

Regards,
Mick.

Hi, here ist the picture with the pixel failures. The DLP Splash screen has no errors. I am not using your board, waiting for the next revision. I am using 5 ground wires.

Edit: I am assuming it is a wiring problem, after removing pin D0 and D1 the picture is much better…
Edit 2: double checked the wiring, its ok.

1 Like

Any news on the version 2 projector board?

1 Like

Hi Kevin,
I’m about to launch a Crowd Supply campaign soon. I’ll be putting it into pre-launch this week.
It’s been pretty busy organising PCBA manufacturing, enclosures and finance.

Planning on being able to ship to the early birds before Christmas.

Regards,
Mick.

1 Like

What’s the resolution of the projector?

1 Like

It would make a great Xmas gift!

1 Like

640x360. Although you can get an interpolated resolution of 854x360.

Most of the Chinese pico displays are in reality 320x240, even though they “claim” 4K or 1080p.

That’s my plan. Although at this stage it’d be only for early birds.

You mean an interpolated resolution of 854x480, don’t you?
I was reading in many webs (and in the projector manual) than the resolution was 640x480. It means that the ratio would be 4:3, and this is not the case. 854x480 is a 16:9 ratio, the same I can see when I use it. I was happy thinking that 854x480 was the “real” (or native) resolution, but what you are telling (640x360 resolution) is a 16:9 ratio, so you can be right. I’m trying to execute some Processing sketches to measure the dimensions, but I’m having problems to do that with my raspberry 3 b+ (despite my sketch is very simple!!!).
Although I believe what you are telling about 640x360 resolution. Then, I don’t know why Texas Instruments give us fake resolutions in the manual! It’s an evaluation module!
Thanks for your quick response! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can’t set a 640x360 resolution in “Raspberry Pi Configuration”. Is there a way to do that?
Thanks.

1 Like

Its a great idea because the RPi generates a stock standard HDMI 1080p output, it will work with ANY device that accepts a stock standard HDMI 1080p input. You can tune the HDMI output to other formats, but both of mine run at 1080p.

https://percentagescalculator.com/

1 Like

I connected my DLP2000 to my Raspberry Pi 3 B+ and I’m trying to set the resolution to the native resolution (640x360). I’m running Raspbian and I can surprisingly see in Raspberry Pi configuration that the resolution is the “Default 720x480” although I can see that a “854x480” image fits perfectly in the screen (without stretch).

When I run the command “xrandr”, I see this message: "xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default ". So, I can’t change the size: “Screen 0: minimum 854 x 480, current 854 x 480, maximum 854 x 480” (???)

Nothing to do running “cvt 640 360” and “xrandr --newmode” with the parameters that cvt gives me (I get the same message: Failed to get size of gamma for output default).

I’m trying to change the resolution of 854x480 to the native resolution of 640x360, because I have to project the real pixels that the projector has, with no interpolations by the operating system. Is there a way to do that?

Thanks.

2 Likes

Here’s a guy who has AirPlay source drivers for a pi.

1 Like

Hi Smntk,
Check out the I2C command list from the TI datasheet. It supports a number of screen resolutions. Some of them are interpolated and others, for example 16:9 to 4 : 3, you end up with black bars across the top and bottom.

Regards,
Mick.

Yes, sadly it’s not for an AirPlay receiver, but a sender.
I’ve looked at several options for making the Pi as a receiver, both for Android casting and Apple AirPlay, but with mixed results.
You can setup NetFlix and YouTube, but it’s a bit of a hack and not as streamlined as AirPlay or casting.

Hi, when I turn on the Raspberry Pi 3B the projector first shows its default screen and the raspberry pi logo of the booting. After that nothing else appears on the screen.

Can anyone please help me?? I don’t know what’s the problem and what I should do to fix this problem. At the moment I am not able to see the raspberry pi screen projected.

1 Like

Hi, when I turn on the Raspberry Pi 3B the projector first shows its default screen and the raspberry pi logo of the booting. After that nothing else appears on the screen.

Can anyone please help me?? I don’t know what’s the problem and what I should do to fix this problem. At the moment I am not able to see the raspberry pi screen projected.

1 Like

Did you change the config.txt file in another computer as Mick told in the post?

2 Likes

Ok. Thanks a lot. You’re right. But when I display a 640x360 pattern with black/white vertical stripes (one pixel wide each) I have some problems, some of the white stripes are showed in green color. This doesn’t happen when the pattern is horizontal. This is a problem for my future project. :neutral_face:

1 Like

Yes, I managed to fix the problem. It was because I had to change some settings on the Raspberry Pi to enable I2C and external GPIO connections. Now I can project the raspberry pi desktop, but I have another problem.

The Raspberry Pi desktop is not aligned (for reference look at the picture), the desktop starts from1/3 of the projected area, reaches the end and then continue at the left side beginning of the projection. Any suggestion on what should I do to fix that?